- Phone does not connect: In rare cases, the phone cannot be connected easily to the Gateway device. In such cases, please delete the pairing history on the phone, reboot it, then do the pairing again and test if it connects. If still no luck, please disconnect and reconnect the Gateway from power. If no progress, please check if newer firmware is available for the Gateway and / or for the phone. Additionally, testing other phone(s) is highly recommended to find out if the problem is related to one specific phone or to the Gateway.
Gateway resets during phonebook synchronization: The Gateway resets periodically while an iPhone is connected to it via Bluetooth. Due to some software changes in the Bluetooth communication of the iPhone devices, in few cases, users experience that the Gateway device periodically resets. Apple changed the phonebook transfer protocol with the iOS 11 software update. It means if the phonebook on the phone includes high amount of data (contacts with pictures, addresses, location details) the phone tries to send each and every one of them to the Gateway device. This could cause the Gateway to run out of memory and to reset itself. We made the necessary changes and modified the Bluetooth communication according to the new requirements in our software update version 064. If you experience the issues mentioned above, please install the latest available software update. You can download the update package with all the instructions from http://www.dension.com/automotive/support
- When making phone calls, the sound of the other person comes from the smartphone’s speakers instead of the car’s speakers: First of all, please make sure that the Bluetooth connection between the Gateway and your phone is also including the phone calls (not only Bluetooth music streaming). You can check this in the Bluetooth menu of your phone. In case of iPhone please double check the ‘Call Audio Rooting’ settings, and make sure ‘Bluetooth Headset’ is selected there; in case of Android you can also find similar settings.
- Voice of the caller is low/loud in the car speakers, compared to music sources: Please go to Settings/Volume of the Gateway menu. There change the “Phone” volume level, plus values like +3 or +6 will make it louder, minus values like -3 or -6 will make it lower.
- The other person complains that your voice is too low/loud: Please go to Settings/Volume of the Gateway menu. There change the “Microphone” volume level, plus values like +3 or +6 will make it louder, minus values like -3 or -6 will make it lower. If the Microphone is still low, then you can also turn on the “Microphone BOOST” in the same menu if you choose “1”.
- Echo on phone calls: Please note, that even if the microphone records the sound mostly from the front, it also records all the sounds/noises from the car, also the other person’s voice that comes from the car speakers. This can make an echo effect both for you and for the other caller. Even the car interior affects this. If this happens, please lower these Volume settings of the Gateway: “Phone”, “Microphone”, “Microphone BOOST”. In the best situation the echo is removed or barely audible, but you and the other caller can hear each other properly.
- Phonebook content is not visible: In the Settings menu of the Gateway please check if Phonebook synchronization is enabled. Most cases if the problem persist you need to add a specific right to transfer those details to the HFP capable device (like the Gateway). This problem usually happens on Android based phones where after the successful 1st pairing you need to add that right in the specific hidden menu. If the problem still persists, delete pairing history, reboot the phone / Gateway and repeat the procedure. If still no success, try to perform a FW update on the Gateway and phone and check the system with different cell phones if possible, to find out if the problem is only with one phone or with the Gateway only.
In some situations a phone configuration is needed for the Gateway device.
- Audi: In case of MMI2 High head unit if the car made year is 2006 or the car is more older (and the MMI wasn’t updated yet), then the phone function is buggy, and that affects the Gateway too, so the MMI needs to be updated. If you have MMI2 Basic, then you may need this configuration: http://www.dension.com/files/gateway-500s-bt-audi-phone-configuration.zip
- BMW: For BMW with iDrive Professional (CCC), iDrive Business (M-ASK) or with non-iDrive Professional head unit you can get the configs from here: http://www.dension.com/files/gateway-500s-bt-bmw-phone-configuration.zip
- Mercedes: No special configuration is needed.
- Porsche: The Porsche phonebook is more limited than the others. From the side of the Gateway it is possible to make it little bigger with the extended phonebook configuration: http://www.dension.com/files/products/gateway_500s_bt/gateway-500s-bt-porsche-phone-configuration.zip