The factory installed external CD changer needs to be removed/disconnected from the car completely if you want to use all functions of the Gateway (music playback). This is because the Gateway emulates these functions, and the car can only work with one CD changer in the same time. If you don’t remove them, any various problems may happen like:
- Volume changing automatically / randomly within 10-15 seconds or more
- CD changer (Gateway) as a source can or cannot be selected but it reverts you back automatically to radio mode shortly (within 2-3 seconds)
- Function buttons are not or only partly working (e.g. FFW)
- Error messages from the car
- The Gateway or car radio resets, is not available at all
Volkswagen/Seat/Skoda: In some cases the car has MDI module instead of a CD changer. In this case the MDI needs to be removed/disconnected, and after that the Gateway could be selected as “Media in”. (Coding is mostly also required, please read section K!)
What is an MDI (Media Device Interface): The MDI is an external media device. It might have AUX, USB and/or iPod connection, that you can find in the glove box or center console mostly. The MDI device itself can be built together with these connections, or can be a separate unit too: you might find it where the connections are or behind the dash of the car.
Car configuration: If your Gateway 300 worked before, but now it is not available anymore, then it might lose the car configuration. This can happen if the power is removed from the Gateway 300 (for example there was a car battery replacement). Or in really rare cases nothing happened, nothing was changed, but it simply loses the car configuration. This configuration can be reinstalled, and if this was the only problem, then it will work again properly. If you have this problem, please contact Dension Technical Support Team and send them the GW_EES.BIN file of your Gateway, then the support team can check it and send the matching car configuration version if you also let them know the car type. (If you don't know how to make the BIN file, please read section A!)
- Here you can contact them: https://dension.kayako.com/en-us/conversation/new
Alternator noise or continous noise:
Generator noise is an extremely rare problem, it is a changing noise depending on the speed of the engine. If it happens, it means there is an issue with the cable or the hardware. Replacing the whole package (Gateway hardware and its car side cables) is necessary. If the problem still remains, then there is a problem with the grounding of the car.
But if you can hear a constant noise, sometimes with periodic clicking noises, then the general grounding and shielding is not the best, and this is what you can hear. The cables can collect these noises as the cables and the Gateway are analog based. Please try to disconnect some of the cables, some cases unplugging the 30pin iPod Dock cable or the CABL-AUX can solve this alone.
Problems by Opel:
- AUX: The car head unit must have auxiliary input. If doesn't please contact with your local dealer about the possibility of programming the AUX feature. If the car has no AUX input or if the AUX function is not programmable in the car's software, then the Gateway won't be recognised by the car.
- Bad sound quality: Some Opel head unit types (especially the CD 70 Navi) may have no proper grounding on the radio. The symptom of that could be that the Gateway may have very bad sound quality also with noise. The solution is connecting the black grounding cable of the Gateway's car side harness to the metal chassis of the car (for example with a screw, or by soldering).
- Next/Previous track buttons: If this function is working with the radio buttons or with the steering wheel buttons only, that is always car dependent. In the case of the CD 70 Navi head unit the arrow buttons are not working as Next/Previous track buttons in AUX mode. The solution is having Gateway firmware 3.14 installed, and then the button 7 and 9 are working as Next/Previous buttons, while button 8 can turn random mode on/off. Here you can download it with installation instructions: